A Naturopath Shares Her Story & Her Thoughts
Helping kids on the spectrum as a Naturopath is my passion in life…
I get so angry about the rise of Autism, I shed a tear for the situation families are in. I get so upset when a doctor hands a family a diagnosis of autism, saying there is no treatment, nothing you can do, you just have to live with it. And with this, parents accept a poor quality of life for their child, sometimes dependent on strong medication that often has considerable side affects and changes the child’s personality.
Parents are rarely told about how food and nutrition can make a difference or that a Naturopath specialising in Autism could help their child. A Naturopath can help in may ways.
My journey to becoming a Naturopath.
I am often asked what prompted me to leave my job as a Mainframe Computer Engineer with IBM in Sydney and become a Naturopath. I suffered considerably with asthma and what I now know is food sensitivities, throughout my life. During the mid 1990s I had a particularly bad run, lots of time off work, constantly at the doctor and totally dependent on medication. I ended up seeing a Professor of Respiratory Medicine, hoping desperately that he would have a magic pill for my condition… He didn’t! All he did was increase my medication even more, put me on stronger steroids, and said that I needed to quit the job and the sport I loved. It felt like my life was coming to an end and I was only in my early 30s.
Something changed in me after seeing him. There had to be a better way than this. I lost my trust in the conventional medical system and began to question many assumptions. What was a Naturopath? I started researching and found a book entitled “Give Asthma the Big A” It talked about how vitamins A and E can help asthma – common knowledge for a naturopath. It had helped some people so much that they didn’t need medication any more. It helped me and now I was hooked on nutrition, natural medicine and becoming a Naturopath.
I wanted to become a “Naturopath”.
There was no going back from here. I read and read then I formally started studying to become a Naturopath and loved it. I changed the way I ate, significantly improved my nutrition and my asthma is now all but gone.
In my early years as a Naturopath, I began seeing more and more children affected by Autism, ADHD and learning difficulties. I felt so much for these kids, their human potential, their future and their families. Autism is a tsunami and it hasn’t hit us yet.
I decided that this is the area I want to make a difference in the world. It is my passion to help rebuild these kids and maximise their human potential.
As a Naturopath, I completed specialised training. I am now actually making a difference to kids and their families, feeling overwhelming joy as children begin to speak and emerge from their isolated world. I know improvement is possible, I have seen it, and will continue to see it as families make the changes that are required to help their child.
As I have said, it is a long path, it requires commitment and perseverance. It is like a jigsaw of 1000 pieces and only 100 will fit your child. We need to find those 100 pieces. It can get totally overwhelming. There is so much information, so much to learn and so many changes to make. Working together we can, and will make a difference. I look forward to meeting you.
Julie Damant Autism Naturopath
Julie’s Qualifications and Professional Associations:
- MINDD Foundation International Forum on Children – 2009, 2011, 2013
- Defeat Autism Now (DAN!) specialised training for Autism with US Paediatricians
- Specialised training with Michael Sichel, Naturopath and specialist in ADHD and Autism
- Naturopath Panelist for the MINDD Foundation Gold Coast Regional Seminar 2010
- Member of the MINDD Foundation
- Post graduate seminars in Nutrition and Herbal Medicine for Naturopaths
- Bachelor of Health Science in Complementary Medicine (Charles Sturt University)
- Advanced Diploma of Naturopathy (Nature Care College)
- Haemaview Live Blood Naturopath
- Vitality and Longevity Analysis Naturopath
- Diploma of Nutrition (Nature Care College)
- Diploma of Remedial Massage (Nature Care College)
- Member of the Australian Naturopathic Practitioner’s Association
- Electronics Engineering Certificate
If you have any questions please contact me.
The Benifits of Working with Julie Damant Autism Naturopath are:
- As a Degree Qualified Naturopath I specialise in helping families facing the challneges of Autism
- I work with you providing support and inspiration on your journey
- I’ll work with your Doctor and Therapists ensuring that we do the best for your child
- Follow up consultations may be done using Skype. Please note that the initial consultation must be in the clinic and your child must be present. I must also see your child in the clinic every 6 months